Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Diviners

A couple of times a year I listen to a book on my way back-and-forth to work.  I picked up this one because it supposedly takes place in Ohio, though only the introduction does.  I have a CD player in my vehicle; I must say that the audio reading of The Diviners is excellent.


One of the things I really liked about this book is that I felt as though I were living in the Roaring Twenties.  From the lifestyle of the main character to her twenties vernacular--I really felt submerged in that raucous culture of the time.  If you visit Libba Bray's website (click HERE), she even has a playlist of songs of that period.

I absolutely loved everything about this book . . . until about two-thirds of the way through (and it is rather long).  I thought it was more a mystery than occult book.  I do not mind books about spirits and creepiness; however, this one crossed the line a little for me.  (Probably a closer line the older I get).  I cannot put a finger on it other than it began to feel a little too uncomfortable.  This uneasy feeling may be an off-handed compliment to the author.  It did bother me enough that I probably will not read any more in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment