Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gathering Blue

I had bought Lois Lowry's book Son as soon as it was released.  I had read The Giver--and am going to teach it next school year.  When cleaning my classroom for the summer, I noticed I had Gathering Blue on my bookshelf.  I wasn't sure if the book was a sequel or part of a group of four books (I've heard some refer to it as the "quartet").  Nonetheless, I read it.

I liked the book, but did not love it like The Giver.  It really seems to stand alone.  It has been a while since I read The Giver; however, I saw no overt connection between the two books.  A friend of mine said that the fourth book ties them all together.

I liked how Gathering Blue emphasized using the talents with which you were born.  Would be a great piece to discuss in a junior high classroom.

For more information on award-winning author Lois Lowry, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment