Monday, July 16, 2012

On Agate Hill

I finished reading Lee Smith's On Agate Hill.  I started it on vacation--I select a title that I can check out of the library in both play-away and book form.  I listen in the car; I read when stopped (if time permits).  This book did not excite me enough to read when I stopped, though I did finish it by reading at home when vacation was over.
I liked the "history" or period of the novel--just after the Civil War.  The story itself was fine, but was not overly memorable.  In fact, I'm having a hard time remembering anything to write, and I just read this a couple weeks ago.  Weak, I know, and I apologize.  The head-strong main character, Molly Petree, encounters many tragedies in her life, but the end of the novel brings everything around full circle--a realistically "happy" ending.  I would not be opposed to reading another of Ms. Smith's books (click HERE for author's website).

No comments:

Post a Comment