Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Literate" as My Students?

I've been terrible at posting my "professional development" reading.  I work for a school that wants to tout itself as a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) leader, but I really question the technology aspect.  Many teachers flipped out because they had to create a Google web page for the school website.  Perhaps this is an area my two oldest children did not have interest beyond what was available.  Perhaps this is an area I am not proficient--thus the May 2012 issue Voices from the Middle is really speaking to me.

The editors' message entitled "Are You As 'Literate' as your Students?" could not be more relevant.  This article set me in the right state of mind to read the next article "Risks, Rewards, and Responsibilities of Using New Literacies in Middle Grades" by Margaret C. Hagood.  Hagood discusses the training and implementation of a digital technology different teachers (wide range of experience and backgrounds) inplemented.  There is hope for me!  Now if I can just get other teachers on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment