Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time

I facilitated a junior high book discussion on the novel A Wrinkle in Time.  I thought I had read this book when I was young, but I do not think it did.  I did not recall any of the details.  If I did read, I obviously missed much of the symbolism packed into the novel.

I found the students either really loved this book or really did not.  The ones that did not felt the book was "weird" and "dated."  I suspect if they had followed the brief reading guide I posted, more connections to "today" would have been made.

Two of the students (it was a small group--even smaller if you consider those who actually read the book) were able to have fabulous conversation . . . the whole point of a book club.  They enhanced my reading experience; hopefully this experience was reciprocated.  One of the young ladies had read the other three books.  I didn't enjoy the book THAT much to read further . . . unless I could tesser to library land for a while!

I chose A Wrinkle in Time for our book club for several reasons:
1)  The novel is echoed in the 2010 Newbery winning novel Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me.
2)  It is the 50th anniversary of L'Engle's publication.
3) It is a Newbery winner (1963) and a "classic" still taught in some curriculum.
4)  The novel contains a subtle Christian theme.

Click HERE for the author's biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment