Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sea of Monsters

My son and I finished the second book in the Percy Jackson series--The Sea of Monsters.  He liked it even better than the first.  I give this one a four of five stars.  The book itself is not my cup of tea; however, I love that it helps review that mythology I learned all those years ago.

Students seem to like the action/adventure in these books. Another reason I suspect students enjoy the Percy Jackson series centers on our underdog hero who has the best intentions.  Though he is a super hero (aka--demigod), he struggles with many of the same issues "normal" students have to work through, and he comes out on top.

My daughter (who claims she had no mythology background) struggled through The Odyssey last semester.  She cringed when I had my son ask her about Scylla and Charybdis.  I enjoy this bantering along with the humor in Rick Riordan's book.  Click HERE to visit Riordan's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment