Thursday, July 7, 2011

When Zachary Beaver Came to Town

At the end of May, I completed Kimberly Willis Holt's book When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.  My daughter read it in seventh grade, and I was applying for that job opening.  Fortunately, through a strange series of events, I ended up EARNING that job.  I cannot wait to teach this book!
If you lived in a sleepy, boring town, would you wait in line to enter a strange silver trailer that contained a 600 pound boy inside?  This begins When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.  This book deals with friendships, religion, differences in people, obligations, families, and even war.  The main character, Toby Wilson, is a 13-year-old boy struggling to balance and make sense of all these things. This book won the National Book Award for fiction in 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment