Wednesday, July 6, 2011

We Real Cool

A few weeks ago I was looking for some specific poetry (hoping to use in my job interview), and I came across one of my favorite poets--Gwendolyn Brooks.  I grew up in Illinois, so we learned about the former poet laureate from Chicago.  There were several poems that came to my mind when I thought about her.  "Bean Eaters" was one of the "standards" we knew.  "Lovers of the Poor" probably holds to top spot in my list of favorites. 
"We Real Cool" was another frequently taught poem.  I was lucky enough to find a site that plays many poems being read--this one by the author herself:  We Real Cool

THE POOL PLAYERS.
SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.
We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment