Monday, June 30, 2014

Three Times Lucky

I have a stack of books I brought home to read this summer.  The more I read, the better I can recommend books to my students.  Wish my other ELA counterparts felt the same way . . . but I digress.  I chose Three Times Lucky from my stack because 1) it was a Newbery Honor I had not yet read;  2) it was one of the shorter books which I needed for my time frame; and  3) I loved the cover art (more on that later).  This book was wonderful!  I would highly recommend it to most any of my junior high students.  I loved the small town setting of Turnage's novel.  I loved the feisty protagonist--Miss Moses LoBeau (aka "Mo").  It had mystery.  It had action.  I was full of love.  Great book!

I loved the way Sheila Turnage revealed the story.  She has another book out (released February 2014) called The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing which I may try to sneak in before school starts.  Turnage's website may be found by clicking HERE.  Interesting thing about her site, it just barely mentions that she won the 2013 Newbery Honor for Three Times Lucky.  Love humility!

Gilbert Ford did the cover art for this novel.  His website may be found by clicking HERE.  He created the cover for Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (another book on my To-Read list).  Mr. Ferris and His Wheel, which will be released in September 2014, is his latest illustrated book.

No comments:

Post a Comment