Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thirteen Reasons Why

One of the last books I read in 2013 was Jay Asher's first novel Thirteen Reasons Why.  I had viewed some buzz about this book the past year, but never really got around to checking it out.  It was one of the books I could get from the library on playaway AND check out the book (both are required for vacation travel for me), so I decided to read (and listen) to it.


I loved both how this book was told and the premise for the book.  The book was told through a series of tapes a high school girl made and mailed the day she took her own life.  The premise, though disturbing, was how one person's actions can have lasting consequences.  What I didn't like was that I thought her act was vengeful--or maybe that uncomfortable feeling I had is myself wondering what impact I have on people.  Hum?!?!?

When writing this for my own memory, I stumbled upon his website.  On it, are all thirteen tapes read by the main character "Hannah."  Ooooh.  This adds another level to the reading experience.  Check it out by clicking HERE.  I will recommend this book to my high school daughters.  I do feel it is a little too mature for the junior high group.

No comments:

Post a Comment