Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars

I had never read a John Green novel before, but he is now one of my favorites.  I purchased this book with Christmas gift cards, but it wasn't until school was out that I started this book . . . and finished it within a day or two.  This is unprecedented given how slooooooooowly I read and how needy my family can be during my reading time.


The biting humor evident in the first chapter permeated throughout the book.  I enjoyed the sarcastic, borderline irreverent perspective of the main character and the camaraderie she shared with other teens struggling with cancer-related issues.  I cried throughout the last sixty pages of the book, though I wouldn't say this novel is a sad tale.

This book was so well written, and I loved many of the mentions of other texts such as Shakespeare (the title is a from a quote from Julius Caesar) or T.S. Eliot's Prufrock (author read).

I need to check out the author's website:  John Green.  I gave this book to my non-reader daughter.  She is currently devouring it.  In fact, she has downloaded two other John Green books to her Kindle.  Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment