Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

I was headed on a trip to Illinois (six hours).  When we do, I try to get a novel with the same audio book so I can alternate between the two.  I saw that the library had the 2010 Newbery honoree The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly available in both book and audio, so I got it.

This book reminded me of Dead End in Norvelt.  Dead End in Norvelt is to history what The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is to the field of science.  The story was great, and readers get to watch the "evolution" of Calpurnia and of her grandfather during the summer of 1899.  The book's real strength lies in the wonderful nuggets of science interwoven in the text.  Future entomologist or biologist will love this book.

Kelly (click HERE for author website) has a new book coming out in November.  I intend to read this one with my son.  Hum . . . maybe a Christmas present from mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment