Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dead End in Norvelt

I just finished Dead End in Novelt, and I loved it!  This book received the 2012 Newbery.  It also won the Scott O'Dell award for historical fiction.  This novel is a fast-paced story full of interesting tidbits of history.  The setting was small-town America (which reminded me of where I grew up).  The characters were a bit quirky (eg:  The main character's nose bleeds every time he is stressed--which is constant for a 12-year-old boy.).


I would highly recommend this book for students between fifth and eight grade.  Both males and females would enjoy this book.

Jack Gantos, the author, has a great website--particularly for teachers.  His site contains a teaching guide for this novel.  Great springboard for activities and lessons.  I would like to add this to our current curriculum.  Locate site by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment