Thursday, February 23, 2012

When You Reach Me

I guess you'd say this is the first year I am teaching in my field--nearly 20 years after graduating from college (long story).  I'm playing catch-up.  When my students presented me with a gift card for Christmas, I chose to spend it on purchasing some recent Newbery books.  The first one I read was When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead--2010 Newbery winner.  I think I was expecting a mystery, but the science fiction element surprised me.  I chuckled at some of the 70's references (I was born in 1970). 

This book has moved me to read (or reread--I THINK I read it when I was an adolecent) A Wrinkle in Time.  This corresponds well with that novel's 50th anniversary.  In fact, I've started a book club with my students--A Wrinkle in Time will be the book we discuss in late April.  Of course, I will recommend that students follow up by reading our more contemporary When You Reach Me.

I suspect the reading level and interest level of this book is between 5th-8th grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment