Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Twist on a Familiar Favorite

As school activities are starting and my lesson planning is under way, I am thinking about the book I've used the first week of school the last several years when I taught preschool.  (I imagine my seventh grade students would not approve!).  I like to use something that is familiar to students so they feel comfortable; however, it needs to be slightly different (and funny) so they can get excited about all of the things they will learn under my care. 
Lenny Hort published a book in 2000 entitled The Seals on the Bus.  Just when my kids think they know everything (and preschoolers do!), I read this book.  We laugh.  We act out the scenes.  We try to predict what animal is next.  I LOVE this book.  I sing it to them and have the students join me:  The seals on the bus go Arr! Arr! Arr! . . . all around the town.  The lions on the bus go Roar! Roar! Roar! . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment