Monday, July 25, 2011

The Help

A friend invited me to attend the new movie based on the 2009 book The Help.  I declined; however, I have read the book.  It is one of my favorites that I have read in the past year.  Kathryn Stockett has written a book that covers a serious topic, but some of the passages are laugh-aloud-funny. 

I'm sure the movie is fine.  It appears to cover more of the town's reaction to "the book" written by a local socialite versus the relationship between the main character (who is an author writing a book about the south from the perspective of the "hired help" aka--black maids) and her two worlds (one with the town's social circle and one with her friendship with people from the "other side" of town).  The book examines the ugliness of black/white relationships in the early 1960's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment