Monday, June 9, 2014

The Nativity

I was talking with our school librarian.  We got on a tangent about how we "pretty up" Christ's crucifixion.  She said the concept reminded her of a book.  The next week she brought it to me.  The Nativity by Julie Vivas tells the lovely nativity story through pictures that hint at how difficult the journey was for Mary and Joseph.


The artwork in this picture book is spectacular.  It is whimsical, reverent, and funny all at the same time.  One of my favorite scenes in the book is when poor Joseph is trying to help a very pregnant Mary mount the donkey.  If you have been pregnant and ever thought about this--you would understand the predicament.  The cover of the book (above) shows one of the pictures.  Below is another.


I think I want to do a picture book study of the nativity with my students next year--and this book will definitely be on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment