Thursday, June 27, 2013

Code Name Verity

Elizabeth Wein's Code Name Verity is a book I saw popping up all over the place with very high praise.  I started this book first by listening to it as I was driving.  I finished the book when I got home, but I think I lost some of the "clues" in the book by not reading the entire thing.  This is the type of book you want to know early on to pay attention closely.  I was confused early on (and I suspect even READING vs. listening would not change this too much), but the second half of the book circles around and fills in the missing and unpredictable pieces.

This novel is one of very few novels I would consider rereading.  I think the re-read would be much more fulfilling.  I will probably allow my higher level, more socially mature students (7th/8th grade) read this as one of the optional books.

I had not read anything by Elizabeth Wein before.  I doubt this book could be topped; however, she has a book entitled Rose Under Fire coming out in a couple of months.  The review indicates it runs along a similar time frame as Code Name Verity, so I will add it to my "To Read" list.  Wein's website may be found by clicking HERE.  I don't really love her website, but she does have a "Vintage Verity" section with some period-related items.

No comments:

Post a Comment