Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night

My students gave me a gift card for Christmas, so I decided to spend it on the 2011 Newbery books for my classroom. I wanted to read them, so basically I have them "for free." I recieved my shipment yesterday and read Joyce Sidman's Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night. What a fabulous book!  Though I purchased it for my seventh grade classroom, I think it is perfect for my second grade son.
The poems are simple and beautiful.  The theme is so interesting (especially to my second grader).  The prints used to illustrate the book are amazing.  In addition, each set of pages contains non-fiction details about the subject of the poem/artwork.  It is perfectly balanced to hit a wide range of readers.

I look forward to checking out other Sidman books:  Joyce Sidman--I'm thinking Swirl by Swirl.    An article and more information on this book's illustrator may be found at the following link:  Rick Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment