Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mocking Jay

As mentioned previously, my younger daughter is essentially a non-reader.  She, however, loved The Hunger Games trilogy so much that we purchased Mocking Jay the day it came out in 2010.  I started this trilogy a couple months after the third book entered the market--the third book was equal in intensity, interest, and quality as the first two books.
The third book is about Katniss becoming the symbolic leader of the rebellion against the government.  These books are violent and adequately graphic to get the point across (but not so much as to turn off the feint of heart).  As is the current trend to turn popular books into movies, I'm afraid the violence would overtake the strong plot.  The Hunger Games books are not books I would teach in class; however, I would not hesitate to recommend them to an eager junior high student.  I think they would make a great selection for a adolescent book discussion club.

No comments:

Post a Comment