Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An Abe Lincoln Book

Last night we got a break in the weather, so my son and I looked at a book outside on the deck.  I was born and raised in Illinois; my husband's parents and my parents as well as siblings still reside in the same place.  Last summer I was in Illinois for a week, so I took my children down to Springfield, IL.  We toured Abraham Lincolns home (they were less than thrilled) before heading to the most remarkable museum. 

This trip sparked some interest in all three children.  My youngest checked out a book from the library:  Lincoln--A Photobiography by Russell Freedman.  The book won a Newbery award in 1988.  My son is going into the second grade, so I read excerpts from the book and we looked at pictures.  The book's reading level is more suited for 5th through 8th grade.  Some of the pictures were very appealing to him since they were replicated in "life size, 3-D format" at the museum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment