Monday, July 18, 2011

The Great Gatsby

My father lent me a copy of The Great Gatsby to reread.  This book was the "Big Read" in the area my father lives.  He did not enjoy the book at all--though I could not get him to give me any specifics as to why.  I had initially read this book close to twenty years ago in college. 

I enjoyed the novel much more than earlier in life.  Perhaps when I was younger I didn't understand the illusions money could create.  This story is about the American dream, tragedy, money, alcohol/prohibition, illusion vs. fantasy.

It is interesting to note that when the book was first published (1925), it was moderately successful--though Fitzgerald saw the novel as a failure.  After his death (1940), there was a resurgence in the book.  We know this book is taught frequently today in high schools and colleges.  Have you ever read any book list that doesn't include Fitzgerald' The Great Gatsby?

No comments:

Post a Comment